Amazon

Monday, January 13, 2014

Banana Crumb Muffins






When those brown bananas start to look sad and just stare you in the face, what's a girl to do? Make banana bread of course! However, whenever I make banana bread it never gets eaten. So I decided I wanted to make banana muffins instead. My wonderful cousin gave me a cookbook when I got married, it's from a small town in Iowa, and I knew there had to be a good muffin recipe in there! Sure enough I found a recipe for banana crumb muffins. These muffins are moist, sweet, and filling! With less than a cup of sugar they are pretty healthy too! I think the sugar content could be lowered and of course honey would make a great substitute. Since I love cinnamon and vanilla in my recipes I added it, but you can leave it out if you don't like cinnamon and vanilla.


Recipe adapted from Monica Cookbook Orange City Christian School page 134 (Leslie Huizenga).

Grease a 12 cup muffin tin and preheat oven to 375.

Muffins:
1-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 mashed bananas
3/4 cup sugar (could probably do 1/2 cup)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
For Crumb Topping:
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. butter

In large bowl, combine flour, b. soda, b. powder, salt, and cinnamon. In another bowl, beat the bananas, sugar, egg, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir the banana mixture into the flour ingredients until just moist, this is the secret to a good muffin, don't overmix. Spoon into the greased muffin tin. In a small bowl mix the crumb topping ingredients until resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle on top of muffins and bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment